MMA (Boston)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MMA (Boston)

Anything MMA related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!
JoeDaddy

Male
Number of posts : 1452
Registration date : 2007-03-29

Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense Empty
PostSubject: Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense   Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense Icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2007, 12:27 pm

Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense 070410serra

Newly crowned UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra (8-4 MMA, 6-4 UFC) will face former champ Matt Hughes (41-5 MMA, 15-3 UFC) in his first title defense, according to UFC president Dana White in Saturday’s post-event press conference.
Serra, who scored a stunning upset of Georges St. Pierre in the main event at Houston’s UFC 69, became the first fighter ever to knockout the former champ. Prior to Saturday’s fight at the Toyota Center, St. Pierre’s only other loss was to Matt Hughes via submission armbar at UFC 50.
The Serra-Hughes title fight is expected to take place in August, possibly at a UFC 74 event.
Hughes, who lost his belt to St. Pierre at November’s UFC 65 event, had defended the UFC’s welterweight title seven times in his career (with two additional wins in non-title fights). The surefire UFC Hall of Famer most recently defeated Chris Lytle with a unanimous decision at UFC 68 last month.
During Saturday’s pay-per-view broadcast, cameras caught Hughes looking especially happy and cheering wildly after Serra’s win. It had been assumed that Hughes would next St. Pierre had he won Saturday’s fight.
“Georges looked a little smaller than usual and he didn’t look sharp when he was out there,” Hughes stated on his Web site, matt-hughes.com. “So, I don’t know if pressure had something to do with it or what, but he just didn’t look like himself out there and Matt was able to land that big punch.”
Serra earned his title shot by winning the welterweight division of a special “comeback” season of The Ultimate Fighter, the UFC’s reality series that airs on Spike TV.
It can be logically reasoned that Hughes will have an easier road back to the title with Serra, even with the Long Islander’s upset win on Saturday.
However, with his latest victory, Serra has won four of his past five UFC fights.
Back to top Go down
http://mma-boston.niceboard.com
Brian
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Brian

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense   Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense Icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2007, 5:32 pm

I underested Matt Serra and ended up eating my words. so im not making a prediction for his next fight
Back to top Go down
TwisteDceL
Champion
Champion
TwisteDceL

Male
Number of posts : 481

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense   Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense Icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2007, 7:05 pm

in my eyes....he matches up BETTER with hughes.
Back to top Go down
http://soulofcel.googlepages.com/home
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!
JoeDaddy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense   Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense Icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2007, 7:29 pm

i like hughes in this fight!
Back to top Go down
TwisteDceL
Champion
Champion
TwisteDceL

Male

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense   Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense Icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2007, 7:42 pm

lol....we knew that! i think he will win 2....but i think its gonna b a tough match.
Back to top Go down
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!
JoeDaddy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense   Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense Icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2007, 8:28 pm

oh yeah Serra is no push over! he will not be easy for Hughes i think it will go alot like the Lytle fight did!
Back to top Go down
TwisteDceL
Champion
Champion
TwisteDceL

Male

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense   Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense Icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2007, 10:45 pm

JoeDaddy wrote:
oh yeah Serra is no push over! he will not be easy for Hughes i think it will go alot like the Lytle fight did!
subliminal ceL says:
my hate 4 hughes as a PERSON (i dont hate him as a fighter) will allow me 2 totally pull 4 serra (therefore sealing a hughes victory). i also pick silva over franklin (because the comeback kid stories bore me....rocky ruined it 4 everyone). last, but not least...i pick rampage over chuck (just because no one else can beat him) because i like his style. chuck is a warrior i just hate any dynasty (im the only unc fan that hates jordan). i will always pull 4 the underdog (because im a loser if u ask anyone EXCEPT my kids in real life).
Back to top Go down
I wanna talk to sampson
Champion
Champion
I wanna talk to sampson

Number of posts : 355

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense   Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense Icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2007, 11:10 pm

can't wait for this fight! it's going to be great. you all know my prediction! nothing but respect for serra but, it's on now!
Back to top Go down
TwisteDceL
Champion
Champion
TwisteDceL

Male

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense   Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense Icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2007, 11:12 pm

true indeed! hughes just hits me wrong. hes a great fighter even when he doesnt TELL me he is everytime a mic is in his face
Back to top Go down
I wanna talk to sampson
Champion
Champion
I wanna talk to sampson

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense   Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense Icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2007, 11:18 pm

CeLnVA wrote:
true indeed! hughes just hits me wrong. hes a great fighter even when he doesnt TELL me he is everytime a mic is in his face
lmao!
Back to top Go down
TwisteDceL
Champion
Champion
TwisteDceL

Male

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense   Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense Icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2007, 11:18 pm

country breakfast eatin john deer drivin' haybailin' bullethead!
Back to top Go down
I wanna talk to sampson
Champion
Champion
I wanna talk to sampson

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense   Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense Icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2007, 11:22 pm

CeLnVA wrote:
this may be true but, he is the next ww champ! hahaha
Back to top Go down
TwisteDceL
Champion
Champion
TwisteDceL

Male

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense   Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense Icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2007, 11:23 pm

I wanna talk to sampson wrote:
CeLnVA wrote:
this may be true but, he is the next ww champ! hahaha

good! the fights are better when i cant stand the champ!
Back to top Go down
jeffro923
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior
jeffro923

Male
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense   Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense Icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2007, 11:57 pm

WAR SERRA !!!!!!! After he destroys Hughes we can see Serra vs GSP 2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense   Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense
Page 1 of 1