MMA (Boston)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MMA (Boston)

Anything MMA related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Matt Hughes autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!
JoeDaddy

Male
Number of posts : 1452
Registration date : 2007-03-29

Matt Hughes autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA! Empty
PostSubject: Matt Hughes autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA!   Matt Hughes autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA! Icon_minitimeThu 27 Dec 2007, 5:55 pm

• Matt Hughes autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA! Made-in-America-cover2

Matt’s autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA, has been released early. There is still time to order an autographed book and receive it by Christmas. A shipment of 300 books just arrived. We will ship USPS priority from St Louis, MO. Overnight delivery is available, click here for more details.

For book tour dates, click here. Matt will start off the book tour by signing at Books & Moore, Inc. on Saturday, January 5th from 1-3 PM.

ONLY BOOKS PURCHASED AT BOOKS & MOORE, INC. THAT DAY OR FROM BOOKS & MOORE, INC. BY PREORDER/PREPAY WILL BE AUTOGRAPHED.

Last edited by on Thu 27 Dec 2007, 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://mma-boston.niceboard.com
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!
JoeDaddy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Matt Hughes autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA!   Matt Hughes autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA! Icon_minitimeThu 27 Dec 2007, 5:59 pm

www.thesun.co.uk

MATT HUGHES releases his autobiography "Made in America" next month, and we're running a series of exclusive extracts from the book all mixed martial arts fans are talking about.

In our second snippet, the UFC’s most dominant champion reveals all about his relationship with Tim Sylvia...

“Tim Sylvia walked over to me during practice. His back was hunched a bit, like Pat’s is, but Pat I could look in the face.

‘Can I talk to you a second?’ he asked.

“Sure thing.” He led me into an office and we sat down on two chairs.

“No one here’s got a problem with me except you,” he began.

“When I first started, Jens would say I’m a fat piece of s*** who’s never going to amount to anything, and he’d get me crying, but now even Jens likes me. Is there a problem?”

He was waiting for me to tell him there was a big misunderstanding or to apologise, like I wasn’t aware of what I was doing.

"Yeah, I really don’t like you,” I told him.

“Is there a reason why?”

“I don’t think you’re a team player and I don’t think you work very hard,” I said.

“How am I not a team player?”

“Remember that whole thing with that girl?” I reminded him.

He waved those ridiculously long arms of his in the air. “They weren’t even going out!”

“Yeah, but you knew that your teammate had a thing for her and you went for it anyway. But I don’t even care about that. I’m talking more about training.

“When somebody’s got a fight coming up, everybody tries to make sure the guy’s got some training partners to get ready.

“Everybody tries but you. Your first priority is always Tim, and I don’t think that’s a good attitude.”

I wasn’t angry or even annoyed. I had as much emotion as if I were talking about the contents of a fridge.

“I don’t think you work very hard either. You’re a little sore and you don’t come in.

“Jens, who’s a champion, has been sore and he comes in. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been sore.

“No one’s ever going to be 100 percent. You just suck it up and you do it, period.”

I didn’t care one way or another what he said in response – I assumed he’d get defensive or angry.

But he didn’t; he was reasonable.

“I’m actually hurt to hear you say that. I’ve been a huge fan of yours for a long time and I’ve been trying to model myself on some of your work ethics, and the way Jens works out and stuff like that, and it’s too bad you feel like this.

“There’s nothing more that I want than to be accepted by you and the rest of the guys.”

“You don’t become accepted by buying yourself a ticket to Vegas, following us around while we’re there when no one really invited you, and then crying – again – when Jens calls you out on it.”

“Is there anything I can do to be friends with you?”

“Well, right now I have enough friends and I don’t need any more friends,” I said. “Is that it? Are we done here?”

He let out a deep breath. “Yeah, I guess.”

“Good.” I got up and left.

We'll have another exclusive extract from Matt Hughes' new book - "Made in America" - here tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Defending Champ
Defending Champ
Andy

Male
Number of posts : 744

PostSubject: Re: Matt Hughes autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA!   Matt Hughes autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA! Icon_minitimeThu 27 Dec 2007, 8:00 pm

I gotta get this book,...looks good- Any guy who don't like Tim Sylvia is a friend of mine!
Back to top Go down
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!
JoeDaddy

Male

PostSubject: Made in America - Extract Three   Matt Hughes autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA! Icon_minitimeSat 29 Dec 2007, 5:02 am

MATT HUGHES’ autobiography “Made in America” hits the shelves next month, but we've got a sneak preview of the book all mixed martial arts fans are talking about here.

In our third exclusive extract, welterweight legend Hughes recalls an infamous fight between Tito Ortiz and Lee Murray after UFC 38 in London back in July 2002...

I took a cab back to the hotel and got to bed. Our flight was leaving early in the morning. I got woken up a couple of hours later by Pat knocking on my door. He was smashed.

“Pat, what’s going on?” I said, grinning to myself. He could barely stand.

“What time is it?” I asked.

“It’s like, five. Don’t worry about it. Just sit down and f***ing listen. You will not believe what just happened.”

I laid on my side of the bed. Pat plopped into the chair in the hotel room and leaned his head back.

“So it’s four o’clock in the morning and they had everybody leave the club, right? Well, the UFC had bussed us all over there but they didn’t have a bus to take us back.

“It’s down to Mark, me, Tony Fryklund, Chuck Liddell, Tito and Lee Murray. Lee Murray’s crew was still there, Tito’s crew was also still there.

“I walked out the back door to go in the alley. Tito’s buddy jumped on my back. He jumped on my back and acted ,like he had me in a choke hold, just messing around, you know?

“Then I felt him get ripped off of me. I turned around and Tony Fryklund had HIM in a chokehold, and was really choking him.

“The guy looked like a mouse that just got trapped in a mousetrap; his eyes were popping out and obviously he wasn’t breathing.

“Tony thought he was actually attacking me – that’s the only reason he did it. So I turned round and told Tony to let him go, and Tony let him go.

“Then Tito’s buddy turned around and basically said ‘what the f*** are you doing?’ to Tony.

“Well, when he said that, one of Lee Murray’s buddies, that one guy who kind of took care of us all week long, thought this guy was actually trying to fight us, so he ran out of the crowd and cracked this kid with a right hand and knocked him out cold.”

“Are you serious?” I asked Pat.

“Hold on, it gets even better. The entire alley erupted into a huge brawl. I was just standing there, and there were bodies flying all over the place.

“I was confused how it all happened, because it happened so fast. I was standing there with my mouth open like ‘what the hell is going on?’

“I looked over and Chuck Liddell was with his back against the wall, knocking people out that were trying to go after him.

“Then I looked over and there’s Tito directly past me, taking his coat off, going after Lee Murray, and Lee Murray’s backing up the alley taking his jacket off.

“Both their jackets come off, and Tito throws a left hook at Lee Murray and misses, and right as he missed, Lee Murray counters with, like, a five-punch combo, landed right on the chin, and knocked Tito out. OUT.

“Tito fell face-first down to the ground, and then Lee Murray stomped him on the face a couple of times with his boots.

“Then Tony Fryklund and I grabbed Lee and pushed Lee and said ‘Get out of here!’ And Lee said ‘I’m sorry, I’ll see you later,’ and took off. And Tony Fryklund helped Tito to his feet.

“Then these English Bobbies showed up and they were threatening to spray the entire crowd with huge canisters of mace. ‘You think you’ve got problems now?’ I said. ‘You spray this entire group of fighters with mace and we’ll all be in a heap of trouble.’

“So I talked the police out of doing that. And then Tony and I got a cab and we headed back here.”

“That’s insane, Pat.” I said.

“Long story short, Matt: I’m ready to get on that plane, pronto.”
We'll have one final extract from Matt Hughes' new book - "Made in America" - here on Monday.
Back to top Go down
I wanna talk to sampson
Champion
Champion
I wanna talk to sampson

Number of posts : 355

PostSubject: Re: Matt Hughes autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA!   Matt Hughes autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA! Icon_minitimeMon 31 Dec 2007, 6:14 pm

where are these extracts coming from jdiddy?
Back to top Go down
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!
JoeDaddy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Matt Hughes autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA!   Matt Hughes autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA! Icon_minitimeMon 31 Dec 2007, 6:41 pm

I wanna talk to sampson wrote:
where are these extracts coming from jdiddy?

there is a link on the first one just click it bro!
Back to top Go down
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!
JoeDaddy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Matt Hughes autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA!   Matt Hughes autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA! Icon_minitimeMon 31 Dec 2007, 6:41 pm

Made in America - Extract Four
FOLLOWING his defeat to to Georges St. Pierre at UFC 79: Nemesis, we've got one final, exclusive extract from Matt Hughes' autobiography "Made in America".

In this excerpt, Hughes recalls the welterweight championship bout between St. Pierre and Matt Serra at UFC 69...

On April 7, 2007, I was in Houston, Texas for UFC 69. I was sitting in the front row by the production people. I wondered what it would be like to watch Georges St. Pierre become the first person other than Pat and me to defend the welterweight title.

The result of the match was a given, because the accomplished fighter was taking on the winner of a reality show. My buddy Steven was at my side, and we were talking about upcoming events.

I didn't expect the fight to be very exciting at all. Suddenly, I heard the crowd go nuts and then I looked into the cage.

Matt Serra threw a mean punch, and Georges started running around a little bit. 'He's hurt!' I thought immediately.
'Wait a minute. He can't be hurt. He's fighting Matt Serra. What happened in the last twenty seconds when I wasn't watching? He's hurt. He's hurt.'

Matt Serra hit him again and knocked Georges down. This wasn't supposed to happen. As soon as Matt clipped him, I got up out of my seat and ran five feet. I grabbed Dana on the shoulder and pulled him back.

He looked up at me, jaw wide open, completely dumbfounded at what was going on. It was like he had just come out of a lobotomy or something.

'That's my fight!' I said, calling dibs and pointing at Serra. 'That's my fight!' Dana didn’t know what was happening.

I went back to my seat and stood there and watched the rest of the match. Sean Sherk slapped me on the back and I turned around.

We looked at each other in complete shock. The fight was over. Matt Serra had beaten GSP. We couldn't stop laughing at the ridiculousness of the situation, that Serra got that one lucky punch in and tagged Georges with it.

Georges had beaten both Sean and me; I would have bet the house on him (as would have 90 per cent of the audience), and if they fought again, I would still bet the house on Georges.

I was ecstatic. GSP wasn't going anywhere, and our rematch would happen no matter what. But Matt Serra had been running his mouth about me for months. If he hadn't beaten Georges, I would never have a chance to take him on.

I thought Georges would crush him, and then the next person Serra fought would beat him, and he'd continue losing - or winning just enough to keep his career afloat.
"Matt Hughes - Made in America" is published by Simon & Schuster and available from all good bookshops from January 7, priced £17.99. Copyright Team Hughes, Inc. 2008
Back to top Go down
Seth
Contender
Contender
Seth

Male
Number of posts : 223

PostSubject: Re: Matt Hughes autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA!   Matt Hughes autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA! Icon_minitimeMon 31 Dec 2007, 7:14 pm

I honeslty have to say after reading what matt said about tim I kinda like him a tad bit more. Man sylvia seems like a sad pansy, like me like me or I'll eat you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matt Hughes autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA!   Matt Hughes autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Matt Hughes autobiography, MADE IN AMERICA!
Page 1 of 1