MMA (Boston)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MMA (Boston)

Anything MMA related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DANA WHITE ADDRESSES STATE OF THE UFC

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!
JoeDaddy

Male
Number of posts : 1452
Registration date : 2007-03-29

DANA WHITE ADDRESSES STATE OF THE UFC Empty
PostSubject: DANA WHITE ADDRESSES STATE OF THE UFC   DANA WHITE ADDRESSES STATE OF THE UFC Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jan 2008, 2:13 am

DANA WHITE ADDRESSES STATE OF THE UFC 5380-DanaWhite_Podium

In his post-fight comments following UFC 79 on Dec. 29, Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White not only discussed the evening’s festivities, but spent a healthy portion of his time talking about the most aggressive year in the history of the promotion, as well as his plans for the future.

He stated that UFC 79 brought in a live gate of $4.9 million, which makes it the highest grossing mixed martial arts event of 2007 and the second highest grossing in the history of the sport, indicating that it was a strong finish to a very active year.

“We had a kick ass 2007. It was an aggressive year for us; buying Pride, the WEC, cover of Sports Illustrated, moving into Europe, and next year’s going to be even bigger,” said White.

“Every year we’ve taken this thing to another level, wait until you see what we do with 2008.”

One of the most broached subjects is always the expansion of the territories that the UFC operates in. White has already confirmed the promotion’s Canadian debut, which is slated to take place in Montreal in April. On Saturday night, he also stated that Germany is a target for 2008.

Looking even deeper into his crystal ball, he said, “The two places we're focusing on right now are New York and Mexico, so I'm hoping to be in both by 2009.” Though he said that a return to Brazil isn’t currently on the radar.

White has made no secret of the fact that he wants Georges St-Pierre to headline the first Canadian event. With the new interim welterweight champion coming out of his fight with Matt Hughes relatively unscathed, the only question now is regarding his opposition.

He couldn’t confirm it, but is seemingly hopeful that he’ll be able to pit St-Pierre in a unification bout against current champion Matt Serra, who is suffering from a recent back injury.

“Matt Serra is very confident that he will heal quickly. I think he feels he’ll be ready for April. That wouldn’t suck,” commented White with a grin on his face.

Addressing the numerous other entities that are making a run at promoting MMA events, he addressed one newcomer in particular, but remained supremely confident in his promotion’s position as the industry’s leader.

“This sport is like the ‘Wild, Wild West’ right now. The biggest guy (coming into the sport) right now is Mark Cuban. He’s got a lot of money and everyone is talking about what he’s going to do,” White expounded. “Floyd Mayweather is walking around with $70 million in his pocket and we all know how Floyd loves to spend money, so I’m sure Cuban is trying to get him to invest in it.

“I like it. The more money that comes into the sport the better it is to help grow the sport. More athletes get fights, make money, start their careers, and they’ll all end up in the UFC at the end of the day.”

But he doesn’t seem overly considered with the opposition. In contrast, he seems to fall into the old dictum of “the best defense is a strong offense” and focused his strategies on what his organization is doing to keep the juggernaut growing.

“There’s still a lot more work to do,” he said matter-of-factly. But aiming square on at rumors of a television deal with CBS, White stated, “Could be. We're always out to get more exposure … Not necessarily broadcast television, but we need to get more exposure.

“In the next few weeks we’re going to be making some announcements that are going to shake up the entire industry again.”

In the end though, he is confident in the direction the UFC is headed and doesn’t seem overly concerned with major corporate sponsors being slow to climb aboard (Harley-Davidson, however, was center mat for UFC 79) or the recent derailment of a TV deal with HBO.

“It's taken longer than I'd hoped after the whole Spike thing started going well, but the bottom line is, we're not going to cut a deal that doesn't make sense,” declared the defiant UFC president. “I don't care who the deal is with. We did this whole thing on our own. Nobody helped us. Nobody was running up trying to finance us ... so it's going to be done on our terms.”

Source: http://www.mmaweekly.com/index.asp
Back to top Go down
http://mma-boston.niceboard.com
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!
JoeDaddy

Male
Number of posts : 1452

PostSubject: Re: DANA WHITE ADDRESSES STATE OF THE UFC   DANA WHITE ADDRESSES STATE OF THE UFC Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jan 2008, 2:19 am

“In the next few weeks we’re going to be making some announcements that are going to shake up the entire industry again.”

Wonder what that could be?
Back to top Go down
http://mma-boston.niceboard.com
boondock_saint_la
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior
boondock_saint_la

Male
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: DANA WHITE ADDRESSES STATE OF THE UFC   DANA WHITE ADDRESSES STATE OF THE UFC Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jan 2008, 2:22 am

as much as I think dana can be full of himself at times, he really does know what he is doing when it comes to UFC. he has done a lot with the product since he took over, but I don't see Cuban as a threat to UFC. Cuban's thing is basketball, not MMA. though I would like to see how mayweather would match up against GSP or BJ Penn...granted I know he would lose, but it would have money and controversey all over it. The boxing fans would show up/buy it to support mayweather and MMA fans would buy/show up to support their guy and it would add more gas to the fire between MMA and boxing. this will be a fucking awesome year and I can't wait.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/boondock_saint_la
fleshpole79
Noob
Noob

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-04-03

PostSubject: Re: DANA WHITE ADDRESSES STATE OF THE UFC   DANA WHITE ADDRESSES STATE OF THE UFC Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jan 2008, 11:14 am

This year will be the year of the I told you so's unlike last year were at any time a great guy could get knocked off by a decent guy. This year the best of the best will reign surpreme. War Serra and Penn.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Defending Champ
Defending Champ
Andy

Male
Number of posts : 744

PostSubject: Re: DANA WHITE ADDRESSES STATE OF THE UFC   DANA WHITE ADDRESSES STATE OF THE UFC Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jan 2008, 11:46 am

This year will hold a lot of things,...hopefully some good battles between well matched, deserving fighters and also hopefully get the world ranking system straightened out. I'm sure in 2008 Rampage will have to lay a ass kicking on Chuckdaddy Liddell (WUDDUP JOE) because it will be time for that again,...enough time has gone by to make the Chuck fans think that he has a chance against Rampage,...just like the Tito fans thought in his fights against Liddell-
Back to top Go down
boondock_saint_la
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior
boondock_saint_la

Male
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: DANA WHITE ADDRESSES STATE OF THE UFC   DANA WHITE ADDRESSES STATE OF THE UFC Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jan 2008, 11:58 pm

2008 can be defined in two words...FUCKING AMAZING!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/boondock_saint_la
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DANA WHITE ADDRESSES STATE OF THE UFC   DANA WHITE ADDRESSES STATE OF THE UFC Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DANA WHITE ADDRESSES STATE OF THE UFC
Page 1 of 1