MMA (Boston)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MMA (Boston)

Anything MMA related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dana White on Sean Sherk: “I Believe Him”

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!
JoeDaddy

Male
Number of posts : 1452
Registration date : 2007-03-29

Dana White on Sean Sherk: “I Believe Him” Empty
PostSubject: Dana White on Sean Sherk: “I Believe Him”   Dana White on Sean Sherk: “I Believe Him” Icon_minitimeWed 01 Aug 2007, 12:05 pm

Dana White on Sean Sherk: “I Believe Him” Danawhiteufcpresident

UFC president Dana White says Sean Sherk is his friend, that he believes Sherk’s claims that he didn’t take steroids, and that the fighter is neither a liar nor a cheater.

The UFC’s big boss made the comments in a recent interview with ESPN The Magazine.

Sherk, the UFC’s lightweight champion, defeated Hermes Franca via unanimous decision at UFC 73, which took place July 7 at ARCO Arena in Sacramento, Calif. However, after the championship bout, both fighters tested positive for anabolic steroids and were promptly fined and suspended one year by the California State Athletic Commission.

Franca fessed up and said he took the steroids (he tested positive for Nandrolone Metabolite) to speed up the healing process from an ankle injury. Sherk, though, maintains his innocence, and in a statement he released after the failed test, said he was investigating possible causes of the failed test with his attorney.

When White was asked about Sherk and the UFC’s plans for the 155-pound division, White used the opportunity to support the champ.

ESPN The Magazine: How did you feel personally when Sherk [allegedly] flunked his test?
White: I’ve known Sean Sherk for a long time. He’s a really good man. He trains hard and has worked hard to get where he’s at. You and me probably have six nanograms [of the steroid Nandrolone] in our system; he had 12. Other guys who’ve been busted for the same steroid have had over 50 nanograms in their system. What my experts tell me is, there’s no way that he would only have 12 in his system. I’m not his father. If he did it, he’ll have to face the consequences. People make mistakes. If your life was over every time you make a mistake, that’s pretty f—ing harsh. How many times do I have to tell people not to use steroids? It’s to the point where it’s just stupid.

ESPN The Magazine: What are you going to do with the 155-pound weight class?
White: I don’t know. Like I said, I trust when Sean Sherk tells me something, and I believe him. I’m not just saying this because I’m president of this league. He’s my friend, and if he tells me he didn’t do this, I believe him. He’s innocent until proven guilty. He’s not a liar, he’s not a cheater. We’ll see what happens. If at the end of the day the commission says he took steroids, then that’s what the ruling is and he’ll get whatever they put on him. That division will live on. This is a speed bump, and it hurts us bad. But we’re going to move on.

Sherk and Franca will appear at a CSAC hearing this coming Monday, Aug. 6. Franca will argue for a lighter sentence, and Sherk will appeal the failed test.

The UFC’s plan was to have Sherk next fight B.J. Penn at UFC 78 in November. However, those plans have been halted pending the outcome of Monday’s hearing.

Sherk (32-2-1 MMA, 6-2 UFC) won the vacant lightweight title by defeating Kenny Florian at UFC 64 in October 2006. His fight with Franca was his first title defense.

Dane also went on to say:

ESPN The Magazine: What changes do you plan to make?
White: Moving forward, I am putting the b—- slap on guys who get caught using steroids from here on out. The fighters make a lot of money. I have all these nickel-and-dimers starting up leagues, and they don’t steal fighters from me. There are a lot of morons out there throwing money around, and nobody’s leaving me. When what you’re selling is human beings competing against each other, there are always going to be issues, man. Personal problems. Contract issues. There are always problems.

ESPN The Magazine: But what is the punishment? What are you going to do?
White: They’re not going to get paid. I take care of all of my guys. If you fight your ass off for me, you’ll get paid. But what I’m going to do is: I’m going to wait and see if they pass their drug tests. If they don’t, you’re going to get paid what’s in your contract and that’s it.

Last edited by on Fri 03 Aug 2007, 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://mma-boston.niceboard.com
I wanna talk to sampson
Champion
Champion
I wanna talk to sampson

Number of posts : 355

PostSubject: Re: Dana White on Sean Sherk: “I Believe Him”   Dana White on Sean Sherk: “I Believe Him” Icon_minitimeThu 02 Aug 2007, 12:34 pm

well, i guess he's doin what he can.
Back to top Go down
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!
JoeDaddy

Male
Number of posts : 1452

PostSubject: Re: Dana White on Sean Sherk: “I Believe Him”   Dana White on Sean Sherk: “I Believe Him” Icon_minitimeFri 03 Aug 2007, 12:09 am

Dana cant save him if he is dirty! Im sure he would like to but he has no option but to play by the rules!
Back to top Go down
http://mma-boston.niceboard.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dana White on Sean Sherk: “I Believe Him”   Dana White on Sean Sherk: “I Believe Him” Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dana White on Sean Sherk: “I Believe Him”
Page 1 of 1