MMA (Boston)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MMA (Boston)

Anything MMA related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dan Henderson spurns offer to extend UFC contract

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!
JoeDaddy

Male
Number of posts : 1452
Registration date : 2007-03-29

Dan Henderson spurns offer to extend UFC contract Empty
PostSubject: Dan Henderson spurns offer to extend UFC contract   Dan Henderson spurns offer to extend UFC contract Icon_minitimeMon 15 Oct 2007, 3:03 pm

Dan Henderson spurns offer to extend UFC contract Dan-henderson

With one fight remaining on his contract, former PRIDE FC middleweight and welterweight champion Dan Henderson has turned down a recent offer from the UFC to extend it, according to the Houston Chronicle.
Here’s the snip:

“The 37-year-old Team Quest fighter has one bout left on the Pride contract he brought with him to the UFC. White offered an extension, but Henderson didn’t bite. He thought the offer was low and chose to take the fight against Quinton Jackson at UFC 75 under the terms of his Pride contract, which left him with no opportunity for a fight bonus. Despite assurances from White that he would be taken care of in the UFC, Henderson is waiting for what he thinks is an equitable offer.”
Henderson recently dropped a five-round unanimous decision to Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 75: “Champion vs. Champion,” which was designed to “unify” the two 205-pound UFC and PRIDE FC belts. It marked his first fight inside the Octagon since 1998.
According to the report, Henderson wants to fight in the UFC. However, he feels that he should be compensated better.
Here’s his take on the issue:

“It seems like guys could be happier. Part of the problem is that they had a couple, three bad shows and got killed in Ireland (at UFC 72) on the money. And, possibly the fact that they spent a boatload of money buying Pride and didn’t do anything with it; they are trying to make some cutbacks, and the fighters aren’t overly happy about that…. He [UFC President Dana White] was telling me that, ‘We haven’t had guys leaving. We take care of the guys, that’s why they’re happy. We don’t want guys that are unhappy’ … I haven’t seen that.”
“Dangerous” Dan has made some recent headlines with a rumored showdown with former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz sometime later this year or early next. However, at the recent opening of the new Miletich Fighting Systems in Houston, Texas, Henderson informed Brawl Sports that he’s not that excited about the match up.
Here’s a snip:

“It’s not the fight that I’d ask for. Beating Tito won’t get me a rematch (with light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson). I don’t think he’s top five (in the 205-lb. division). I’d have to beat at least a top three guy to get the rematch.”
Henderson is hopeful that he and the organization will eventually come to terms. In fact, he’s waiting for another offer to extend his contract.
If an agreement isn’t reached it would be a blow to the UFC middleweight/light heavyweight roster, as well as signal a major shift in fighter thinking on the heels of the stunning resignation (not retirement) of UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture.
Back to top Go down
http://mma-boston.niceboard.com
DennisN
Top Prospect
Top Prospect
DennisN

Male
Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2007-03-29

Dan Henderson spurns offer to extend UFC contract Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson spurns offer to extend UFC contract   Dan Henderson spurns offer to extend UFC contract Icon_minitimeTue 16 Oct 2007, 9:46 pm

The UFC middleweight division NEEDS Henderson. Who's gonna fight the winner of Franklin/Silva?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/quizrox

Dan Henderson spurns offer to extend UFC contract
Page 1 of 1