MMA (Boston)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MMA (Boston)

Anything MMA related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!
JoeDaddy

Male
Number of posts : 1452
Registration date : 2007-03-29

ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK Empty
PostSubject: ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK   ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jan 2008, 3:51 pm

ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK 5392-LiddellHorn266UFC54

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship light heavyweight titleholder Chuck Liddell solidified his place in mixed martial arts history on Dec. 29 when he defeated long-time rival and former Pride Fighting Championships middleweight champion Wanderlei Silva at UFC 79: Nemesis in Las Vegas.

"It's great to get back on the winning track, getting my hand raised," Liddell told MMAWeekly.com.

Coming off back-to-back losses heading into the fight, many questioned if he still had what it takes to compete on MMA's highest level. Changes in preparation, both mentally and physically, showed in his performance.

"I think I changed a little bit of the intensity in the room, and kind of getting back to being a mixed martial artist. You know, mixing everything in and not just being a striker," commented the 38-year-old about his training.

Liddell was able to secure two takedowns against Silva and attempted three. We hadn't seen him take anyone down since his match with Alistair Overeem in August of 2003.

Discussing the takedowns, he explained, "I definitely wanted to work them in there sometime during the fight and keep him off balance a little bit."

Liddell was able to utilize his reach advantage and keep Silva at the end of his punches throughout the fight, something he does extremely well.

"I always try to use that advantage," he stated. "I've got pretty long arms for my height and always got a good reach for my size and weight class, so I've got to use that as much as possible.

"It just kind of works in the way I fight. There was no extra plan for it, but that's just kind of how I do things."

Silva also likes to trade from the outside, but is probably more devastating and dangerous from the clinch position where we've seen him finish current UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson twice. The one time Liddell and Silva clinched in the bout, Liddell did the damage with two elbow strikes.

"I thought he would have tried to clinch more," Liddell reflected. "But I'm also decent in the clinch, and I throw good elbows in there when I gain that position, so I'm real comfortable there."

In round two, the former UFC champ hit the canvas twice. The first one was a slip, but the second time Liddell went down appeared to be caused by a punch. He agreed and disagreed, saying, "It was a slip. It was more getting hit while I was moving in an odd way and slipped. I just had a couple of slips in that round."

Along with the subtle changes in training, Liddell sought out motivational speaker Tony Robbins to assist in focusing for the bout.

He commented, "It was really good. . . I think (working with Robbins) really did help me get better and focus on just being in the moment of the fight. I'm not worried about anything else."

Refocused and motivated, Liddell expects a big year in 2008.

"I'm back. I'm coming after my title, and hopefully get a shot at that some time in 2008."

Asked about a rematch with Wanderlei Silva, and if the saga is over, Liddell responded, "I'm going after my title. I want to get the title back. If people want to see a rematch with us after that, then yeah. Sure."

source:http://www.mmaweekly.com/
Back to top Go down
http://mma-boston.niceboard.com
boondock_saint_la
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior
boondock_saint_la

Male
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK   ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jan 2008, 11:46 pm

as great and epic as his win over Silva was, I don't see Chuck getting a fight with Rampage for awhile. My reasons are the following.

He lost to Keith Jardine. Jardine isn't what I would call a top fighter. Houston Alexander beat Keith Jardine. So I feel Chuck Should be Houston Alexander and Thiago Silva, since he beat Alexander. The Jardine fight I feel really knocked him down, rakning wise, so he needs to fight back up to the top again.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/boondock_saint_la
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!
JoeDaddy

Male

PostSubject: Re: ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK   ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jan 2008, 4:54 pm

Yeah but this is not boxing one or two big wins will bring you right back to the top! Alexander don’t deserve a fight with Liddell he should fight Bonner! Thiago Silva is a good up and comer but needs to pay his dues first! I like Liddell and Shogun or Machida right now those are the only intriguing match ups for him! You also have to take into consideration he was the defending champ and IMO any defending champ deserves a rematch for his belt! Now saying that yes he lost to Jardine but he beat W.Silva so put him in against Rua or Jardine and with a win the shot is his with either Forest or Page whoever wins that fight!
Back to top Go down
Andy
Defending Champ
Defending Champ
Andy

Male
Number of posts : 744

PostSubject: Re: ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK   ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK Icon_minitimeTue 08 Jan 2008, 1:31 am

I would like to see Stephan Bonnar get a challenge fight with Alexander or better,...it has been quite awhile since Stephan has had to test himself,..he blew past Mike Nipples and Eric Schaeffer and is scheduled for a fight with Matt Hammil. I think Hammil is a formidible opponent but Bonnar is always fighting fighters below him, he needs a chance at actually advancing and not beating gimme fighters.
Back to top Go down
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!
JoeDaddy

Male

PostSubject: Re: ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK   ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK Icon_minitimeTue 08 Jan 2008, 8:19 pm

Just watched a Video of Liddell he wants Jardine says he was not himself that fight and wants to avenge the loss! Also said if he would have lost to Silva he would have called it a career!
Back to top Go down
Andy
Defending Champ
Defending Champ
Andy

Male

PostSubject: Re: ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK   ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jan 2008, 1:37 am

I think a rematch with Jardine is the logical next move,...he needs to answer that question mark and then move on. If he fought Jardine like he did Wandy he would of hurt Jardine BAD!!
Back to top Go down
I wanna talk to sampson
Champion
Champion
I wanna talk to sampson

Number of posts : 355

PostSubject: Re: ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK   ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jan 2008, 10:48 am

fuck yeah!! i'd like to see it. if liddell charges through those leg kicks like he did against wandy, jardine's going to have a short night.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Defending Champ
Defending Champ
Andy

Male

PostSubject: Re: ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK   ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jan 2008, 11:13 am

Chuck on the attack is a hell of a lot better fighter than counter puncher Chuck,...Liddell came alive in that fight against Wandy and he never showed a sence of urgency in the Jardine fight and just flat out ran out of time.
Back to top Go down
DennisN
Top Prospect
Top Prospect
DennisN

Male
Number of posts : 199

PostSubject: Re: ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK   ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jan 2008, 11:38 pm

JoeDaddy wrote:
Just watched a Video of Liddell he wants Jardine says he was not himself that fight and wants to avenge the loss! Also said if he would have lost to Silva he would have called it a career!

Does this mean he's going all out? If he loses to Jardine again. does he retire? If he beats Jardine but loses to Rua, does he retire?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/quizrox
boondock_saint_la
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior
boondock_saint_la

Male

PostSubject: Re: ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK   ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jan 2008, 11:49 pm

DennisN wrote:
JoeDaddy wrote:

Does this mean he's going all out? If he loses to Jardine again. does he retire? If he beats Jardine but loses to Rua, does he retire?

if shogun fights like the pride shogun, we shall see chuck go down.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Defending Champ
Defending Champ
Andy

Male

PostSubject: Re: ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK   ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jan 2008, 12:05 am

If Chuck fights Shogun I will bet on Chuck,...end of story
Back to top Go down
boondock_saint_la
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior
boondock_saint_la

Male

PostSubject: Re: ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK   ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jan 2008, 2:32 am

Andy wrote:
If Chuck fights Shogun I will bet on Chuck,...end of story

I'm a gambling man. I'll either be rich or broker than I already am this year. I'mma bet money on Crocop, Shogun, Big Nog, and Rampage everytime they fight. Only fight I will not bet on as of now, is silva vs hendo. reason being, I have no clue who the hell will win.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK   ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ON TRACK, LIDDELL WANTS HIS TITLE BACK
Page 1 of 1