MMA (Boston)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MMA (Boston)

Anything MMA related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!
JoeDaddy

Male
Number of posts : 1452
Registration date : 2007-03-29

Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69 Empty
PostSubject: Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69   Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69 Icon_minitimeMon 02 Apr 2007, 3:04 pm

Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69 070402herring

Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, UFC 69 Fight With Brad Imes

While much of the UFC 69 focus has centered on Josh Koscheck vs. Diego Sanchez, as well as UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra, many UFC fans have forgotten about one of the night’s most intriguing undercard matches: MMA veteran Heath Herring (26-12 MMA, 0-1 UFC) vs. The Ultimate Fighter 2’s Brad Imes (5-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC).
Herring, a PRIDE and K-1 veteran who was picked up when the UFC acquired (and disbanded) the World Fighting Alliance back in December, made an unspectacular Octagon debut in January’s UFC Fight Night 8 event. The Texas native dropped a unanimous decision to Jake O’Brien, a renowned wrestler who entered the fight a major underdog.
To promote his debut, the UFC also continually aired an infamous kiss that took place at a 2005 K-1 event. As Herring and his opponent, Yoshihiro Nakao, went chin-to-chin in the pre-fight staredown, Nakao planted a quick peck on Herring’s lips. Before Nakao had the chance to consider second base, Herring unleashed a quick punch that floored Nakao and ended the fight before it ever began.
The fight was eventually ruled a no-contest.
Herring’s poor showing, the lowlight-reel kiss, and his post-UFC Fight Night 8 announcement that he had been injured prior to the fight — well, it didn’t go over well with UFC fans. (It didn’t go over well with a certain UFC Junkie who had a couple hundred bucks on the fighter either.)
In the months since that fight, I’ve wanted to write off Herring as an over-hyped under-performer. But honestly, it’s been hard. So hard, in fact, that I’m starting to have a change of heart.
Perhaps Herring simply got some good public-relations advice, but based on his interviews since his disastrous UFC debut, I’m warming up to him.
Herring, perhaps more than anyone, knows the hole he’s dug himself into, and he seems determined to fix his image with UFC fans.
Pramit Mohapatra of BaltimoreSun.com recently interviewed Herring and posted the transcript today.
It was great to hear a guy so happy about being back in the saddle:

Given that you lost your first fight in the UFC, do you feel you are at a crossroads in your UFC career with this upcoming match?
You could interpret that in many ways. I’ve had several people ask me that question. I think if I sat down and I really let the pressure get to me, it could. But, I just have to trust in my abilities, where I’ve been, what I’ve been through. I know what I’ve gone through. I know all the opponents that I’ve faced. And I know what my abilities are. So, I’m really not too worried about it. I know I’ve got a place in the sport for a long time to come. Unfortunately, I feel that people weren’t able to see me fight at the top of my abilities at that last fight. So, I need to come out and show everybody what I am capable of as opposed to seeing half of a performance.
If you do defeat Imes, who would you like to fight next?
I’ve never even considered opponents to be honest with you. In Japan, that was a favorite question of all the interviewers. And I never really had a good answer for them. Whoever the organization offers up to me at the time, I’m going to take and accept. I like to stay active. I like to stay busy obviously. I just fought. I’m trying to fight again. I’ve had a year, year-and-a-half layoff due to some legal issues in Japan so I’m actually glad to be back in the swing of things.
So, as far as an opponent that I would want to face, probably the quickest fight that they’ll give me after this one — if everything goes the way I want it to — then I’ll probably say yes to [that matchup].

The rest of the interview: http://ufcjunkie.com/
Back to top Go down
http://mma-boston.niceboard.com
Andy
Defending Champ
Defending Champ
Andy

Male
Number of posts : 744

PostSubject: Re: Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69   Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69 Icon_minitimeMon 02 Apr 2007, 5:54 pm

I felt the same way about Herring, he had no answer for a Josh Koschec like one dimensional fighter and with all the experience Herring was supposed to have one would figure he'd have a answer to an opponent smothering him the entire fight with Lay n Pray! I'll give the guy another chance to show his skills against a big tackling dummy in Brad Imes. Imes is the perfect target for Herring to show his striking skills, if he is half the fighter they think he is he will chop Imes down in the first round.
Back to top Go down
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!
JoeDaddy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69   Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69 Icon_minitimeMon 02 Apr 2007, 7:41 pm

I think he drops Imes he has been in the ring with everyone over in Pride he has the experience that’s for sure just needs to get himself healthy and show us something! Like Andy ill give him another chance…
Back to top Go down
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!
JoeDaddy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69   Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69 Icon_minitimeMon 02 Apr 2007, 11:34 pm

Bump
Back to top Go down
TwisteDceL
Champion
Champion
TwisteDceL

Male
Number of posts : 481

PostSubject: Re: Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69   Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69 Icon_minitimeWed 04 Apr 2007, 8:48 pm

andy nailed that one. what u did in the past only holds so much water. he's gonna have 2 impress me (and maybe the ufc) in his next fight. u cant talk that much trash after u lose if u cant deliver.
Back to top Go down
http://soulofcel.googlepages.com/home
Andy
Defending Champ
Defending Champ
Andy

Male
Number of posts : 744

PostSubject: Re: Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69   Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69 Icon_minitimeWed 04 Apr 2007, 9:30 pm

Thanks fellas, lets just hope Herring can find a different pair of shorts than the spandex joints he is wearing in the picture above!!
Back to top Go down
I wanna talk to sampson
Champion
Champion
I wanna talk to sampson

Number of posts : 355

PostSubject: Re: Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69   Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69 Icon_minitimeWed 04 Apr 2007, 10:13 pm

Andy wrote:
Thanks fellas, lets just hope Herring can find a different pair of shorts than the spandex joints he is wearing in the picture above!!
lmao! maybe that's what has been hurting him, constrictive underwear!
Back to top Go down
TwisteDceL
Champion
Champion
TwisteDceL

Male
Number of posts : 481

PostSubject: Re: Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69   Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69 Icon_minitimeWed 04 Apr 2007, 10:15 pm

I wanna talk to sampson wrote:
Andy wrote:
yeah....we dont need 2 see his one eyed crazy horse! the biker shorts went out in the 80's with MC Hammer! give those back 2 Shonie Carter
Back to top Go down
http://soulofcel.googlepages.com/home
I wanna talk to sampson
Champion
Champion
I wanna talk to sampson

Number of posts : 355

PostSubject: Re: Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69   Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69 Icon_minitimeWed 04 Apr 2007, 10:20 pm

CeLnVA wrote:
I wanna talk to sampson wrote:
Andy wrote:
yeah....we dont need 2 see his one eyed crazy horse! the biker shorts went out in the 80's with MC Hammer! give those back 2 Shonie Carter
hahahaha, one eyed crazy horse! that shit was too good. lmao
Back to top Go down
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!
JoeDaddy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69   Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69 Icon_minitimeThu 05 Apr 2007, 12:11 am

I know right whats with the manties?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69   Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heath Herring Discusses Disappointing UFC Debut, And UFC 69
Page 1 of 1